Liverpool forward Luis Suarez has been handed a mammoth ten match ban by The Football Association his bite Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic. A three-man independent regulatory commission opted to enlarge the usual three match ban that the FA handed Suarez for violent conduct, and added seven matches to his ban, possible leaving Suarez sidelined until October. Although Liverpool and Suarez accepted the three-match ban given to Suarez, as referee Kevin Friend did not see the incident, Liverpool said they were “shocked and disappointed” at the severity of the punishment now given. Continue reading
Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud will face a three match ban following his claim for wrongful dismissal rejected, by the FA over his sending off against Fulham over the weekend. The Frenchman was sent off by referee Andre Marriner in the final minute of Arsenal’s Premier League match against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday, for jumping into a challenge with Stanislav Manolev. The Gunner’s decided to appeal against the ban, but following an hearing today the appeal has been rejected, meaning Giroud will miss three of Arsenal’s last four Premier League matches. Continue reading
Chelsea center-back John Terry has reopened English football’s wounds, after refusing to shake hands with FA Chairman at a high-profile Uefa event. Terry showed his lingering anger at Bernstein, who was instrumental in the decision to strip the thirty-two-year-old of his England captaincy after Terry was accused of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand in a Premier League match last season.
Manchester City forward Sergio Agüero will face no further action for his two-footed studs-up challenge on David Luiz in City’s FA Cup semifinal against Chelsea. The incident happened in the 82nd minute of the match, after Luiz appeared to elbow the Continue reading
The English FA has said that they have not found evidence of racist chants aimed towards Rio and Anton Ferdinand during England’s World Cup qualifier against San Marino last Friday. Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) made an official complaint to Fifa over racism chants by England fans in England’s World Cup qualifier, but the English FA has said that there is no evidence with FARE’s case.
“The FA takes all incidents and allegations of racism extremely seriously,” The FA said in a statement today.. “In San Marino, we had FA security officers monitoring the English supporters in the stadium. This includes recorded video footage.
“We also worked closely with UK Police in advance of and on the night of the game.
“While we have no reason to dispute the media reports which are without doubt made for the right reasons of fighting racism, at this time we have not found any recorded evidence of the specific discriminatory chanting referring to Rio and Anton Ferdinand and the vile ‘bonfire’ song. We will of course continue to review all of our recorded footage.
“We recognize the importance of FARE’s responsibility to report any incidents to Fifa. We will liaise with Fifa and work with them to assist any investigation.
“Should evidence of any racial chanting be found, we would expect action to be taken against any individuals.
“We would expect banning orders to be issued by the courts as a minimum penalty.
“We do not want supporters who chant vile or racist abuse following the England team.”
Racist chants at England’s match were reportedly aimed at Manchester United center-back Rio Ferdinand and his brother, Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand. Rio had been called up to the England squad for the first time since 2011 by manager Roy Hodgson, but withdrew from the squad due to his “pre-planned training program.” Rio, 34, has hit out at the England supporters chanting racist abuse tweeting, “You expect+accept banter from fans on the terraces as its part of what makes the game great, but racism is not banter& from ya own fans. WOW.”
Fifa have received an official complaint from Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) regarding racist chants aimed towards Rio and Anton Ferdinand during England’s 8-0 win over San Marino in a World Cup qualifier. It is understood that allegations are towards sections of England fans during the match, and FARE have admitted they had no eyewitnesses at the match, and that their allegations are partly based on media comments. The English FA could face large fine if the supporters are found guilty, as did the Serbian FA for racist abuse in their U-21 match against England.
FARE tweeted, “FARE has sent reports of racist or xenophobic abuse at three #FIFA WC qualifiers on 22/3/13: Croatia v Serbia, Poland v Ukraine and San Marino v England.”
“Although we did not have observers at the match we have pulled together evidence sent to us including media comment and have passed that on to Fifa,” FARE’s executive director Piara Powar said. “I think that it’s one of those things that is very subtle. We would say racism and other forms of discrimination is not always banana-throwing and monkey chants. The people collating the reports believed it is strong enough to send on to Fifa. From the reports we have seen I personally think there was an undercurrent of race there, and other people have thought that it has been imbued with racist overtones.”
Racist chants during the match were aimed at Manchester United center-back Rio Ferdinand and his brother, Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand. Rio had been called up to the England squad for the first time since 2011 by manager Roy Hodgson, but withdrew from the squad due to his “pre-planned training program.” The thirty-four-year-old was in Qatar fulfilling television commitments during the match.
A FARE spokeswomen told the Daily Mail, “It (the complaint) refers to the racist abuse Rio Ferdinand received, along with his brother Anton.
“We don’t make the judgement. We send a report to FIFA but in the end it’s their decision whether they open proceedings or not. And whether they issue a fine or not.”
The English FA has not yet made an official comment.
Former Manchester United director Greg Dyke has become the new FA chairman, succeeding David Bernstein. Dyke’s appointment was unanimously approved by the FA board, although is still subject to the approval of the FA council. Dyke, 65, will succeed David Bernstein, and will take over the post on July 13.
Dyke has previously served as a director at Manchester United and is currently the non-executive chairman of League One side Brentford. He has also served as director general of the BBC and managing director of London Weekend Television. The Englishman is also associated with companies outside football, and is currently the chairman of the British Film Institute and the theater group ATG, and is the chancellor of the University of York.
“Football has always been a big part of my life whether playing 11-a-side on Sunday mornings or six-a-side on Thursday evenings,” Dyke said on the FA website. “I was brought up in a household where my father was much more interested in whether or not you had won at football than whether you had passed your exams. In my case that was just as well.
“I still turn out to play six-a-side some Thursday evenings although at my age I seem to spend more time injured than playing. I supported my local team Brentford as a kid where my elder brother was a junior, watched York City while at university and followed Manchester United whenever I could.
“I got involved in how the game was run when I was first involved in buying sports rights as chairman of ITV Sport in the late 80s and later at the BBC. I learnt a lot in the years when I was on the Board of Manchester United and have seen the other side of the professional game at Brentford.”
“I am very excited to take on this role with the FA. At the grass roots seven million people play football every weekend, women’s football is booming and the ambition is for it to be the second biggest team participation sport in England behind only the men’s game, we have the best known, most successful league in the world with the Premier League and the Football League is so much stronger than it was eight years or nine ago.