MOTD- Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City

Manchester City have won the Manchester derby through a superb second half winner by Sergio Aguero, and although have little impact in the title race, it was a great game.  City started the match on the attack, and soon earned their first chance of the game when David Silva went charging down the right flank, before drilling a shot towards the near post.  De Gea easily palmed it away, but City kept up their pressure, with Gael Clichy firing well wide from twenty-five yards out from goal following a great run down the left in the fifth minute.

After a breathless start to the match, the tempo slowed down, with United keeping possession.  With the matches pace very slow, both sides could barely create a chance, and the next chance came when Robin van Persie’s deflected shot looped over to Ryan Giggs at the far post, but Giggs’ header looped over the bar.  City slowly started to creep back into the match, and almost opened the scoring in the twenty-sixth minute when Nasri grabbed a loose ball inside the United box.  Nasri quickly let fly a swerving shot on the right side of the box, and it flew just wide of Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea’s left post.

City started to dominate the match, that started to become very heated, with referee Mike Dean booking Wayne Rooney, David Silva, and Vincent Kompany in the space of ten minutes.  At the end of the half United looked very dangerous, and Van Persie volleyed just over the bar from the edge of the box in the forty-second minute.  Seconds later Untied came very close to scoring when Michael Carrick lobbed a lovely pass to Van Persie on the left side of the City box, and the Dutchman flicked it on for Rafael.  Rafael lobbed a first-time half-volley just over Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart, and it fell on top of the corner of the woodwork and bounced away.  But Untied could not score before the break, with Dean’s halftime whistle coming with the score still 0-0.

The second half started at a much higher tempo than the first, and City amazingly managed to open the scoring only four minutes into the half when Giggs was dispossessed by Gareth Barry on the left.  Garry stormed down the flank before cutting the ball abck to Nasri, who just managed to poke the ball back to James Milner at the top of the box.  Milner stuck a clean shot on goal, but it took a big deflection off of Phil Jones, taking it past De Gea and into the bottom left corner of the net.  United predictably bounced back, and it took them only seven minutes to equalize when Van Persie sung in a ferocious free-kick from right. Hart flapped at it, but couldn’t push it away, and it fell to Jones at the far post who heads it off of Kompany’s back into the back of the net.

City kept their composure, and Nasri acrobatically shot just over the bar in the seventy-first minute.  United almost grabbed the lead four minutes later, with Ashley Young firing a long range low, driven shot on goal, and Hart did well to save.  In the seventy-eighth minute City took the lead through an incredible by Sergio Aguero.  Aguero picked up the ball on the edge of the box on the left, and while United players surrounded him like hyenas, he managed to tiptoe his way across the box, before hitting a hot into the roof of the net from five yards out.  Although United tried to equalize with Van Persie and Evra forcing saves out of Hart, they could not, and after five minutes of injury time the match ended 2-1.
Man of the Match: Sergio Aguero

Sergio Aguero confronts Phil Jones in City's 2-1 win

Sergio Aguero confronts Phil Jones in City’s 2-1 win


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s