MOTD- Everton 0-3 Wigan

Wigan get an amazing win over Everton in the FA Cup Sixth Round, scoring three goals in nearly as many minutes.  Wigan started the game brightly, but the first chance went to Everton when Kevin Mirallas played a short corner to Leighton Baines in the fourth minute.  Baines hit a whipping cross into the box to Sylvain Distin but the Frenchman’s header went just wide of the post.  From then on it was all one-way traffic, with Wigan being surprisingly dominant and created many chances.  Wigan’s first big chance came when Shaun Maloney took the ball down the left flank in the eleventh minute, cut it into the middle, and hit a beautiful curling shot that rebounded off the post.  Wigan got another chance in the eighteenth minute, but Arouna Kone’s header went just over the bar from a good position.  Everton did get one good chance in the half, and in the twentieth minute Nikica Jelavic’s low shot from outside the Wigan box forced Wigan goalkeeper Joel Robles to get down to his left and push it away.

Wigan finally went ahead in the thirtieth minute when a magnificent corner bent back to the far post, and it found the head of Maynor Figueroa at the back post, and the defender’s thumping header snuck into the back of the net from six yards out.  Amazingly, Wigan got another goal just a minute later and when a horrible Phil Neville back pass was intercepted by Callum McManaman.  McManaman took the ball into the Everton box, and shot it over an oncoming Jan Mucha and into the back of the net.  Wigan didn’t stop there and incredibly scored again, just 202 seconds after Figueroa’s goal.  Kone took the ball down the left flank and cut it back for Jordi Gomez at the edge of the box, and Gomez hit a wicked first time shot that curled past a helpless Mucha and into the bottom left corner.  You could already see the game slowing down, and the rest of the first half was uneventful with Wigan going into the break  3-0 up.

Everton started the second half brightly, but that did not top their fans from loudly booing them.  Their first chance came when Marouane Fellaini struck a shot with the outside of his boot from twenty-five yards out and it hit the post but bounced out.  Everton started to apply pressure and won a few corners, but it just wasn’t their day and Wigan easily cleared all of them.  The last chance of the match was Everton’s best, but Seamus Coleman horribly missed a free header from five yards out after Mucha had parried a well struck Leon Osman volley into his path.  The miss pretty much summed up Everton’s night, and the match ended 3-0.
Man of the Match: Arouna Kone


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s